What is the correct procedure to follow within a copperhead snake bite?
My neighbor was bitten by a copperhead on her foot. After 2 weeks, it's still swolen and very stinging. At the hospital, they did nothing--no antivenom, just "watched" it for 8 hours. Is there something here that should have/can be done if something close to this happens in the adjectives?
We're in NC.
Your friend's injury is a good indication of how awful those snakes can be.
Clearly, the folks at the hospital considered your friend in obedient enough physical shape that they deemed intervention unnecessary. The toxin will eventually dissapate, and the swelling and pain will disappear.
Anytime you're faced near a venomous snakebite, you have to consider the size and type of snake (a small copperhead biting a healthy fully developed is quite different from a large wet moccasin biting a small child) and the overall health of the victim. ALWAYS obtain emergency help. Get to the emergency room, or call an ambulance. Always hang on to the victim calm and softness, so the venom doesn't spread quickly.